Can Cabruja has a long history behind it, of almost a thousand years.
Cabruja is the name of a municipality sector of Santa Pellaia where there were four farms in the 11th century that belonged to the cantors of the headquarters in Girona. In 1064, Cantor Ponç left the four farms known as Sa Cabruja – “in loco quem dicunt ad ipsam Chabru” to his successor Juan, and in 1078, Juan gave the farms to Berenguer Amat.
We discovered the ruin of Can Cabruja because it is close to our house (Can Seguer). The house and the area had a hidden beauty. The house was completely covered with ivy, and the grounds were filled with invisible terraces covered by trees, bushes, and mulberry trees.
It has been a privilege to make the effort to restore this wonderful house and recover its original essence from the elements, stones, and corners that allow us to travel through the history of this Catalan farmhouse. At the same time, we can give it a new function, allowing it to become a magical paradise where people can come to regenerate, rejuvenate and find inspiration and connection with nature, silence and the heart, once more.
Can Cabruja is a piece of cultural landscape with its own animals and plants in the middle of the forests of
Gavarras, an enrichment to nature.
After clearing the area, around 300 olive trees have sprouted again on the southern slope, olive trees that were here for centuries. There are 3 varieties of olive trees in the Empordà region (D.O.): Argudell, Corivell and Verdal.
in loco quem dicunt ad ipsam Chabru